First property owners around the lake

 lac Mercier

Before us, they walked on these lands and admired the mountains and the lake…

Since the surveying in 1871-1883 divided the territory into cantons, in the counties of Labelle and Terrebonne, the small village of Mont-Tremblant and the south-est sector of lac Mercier became part of canton de Grandison in the county of Terrebonne. As for lac Mercier and lac Desmarais, they were located in the « Municipality of Clyde » (La Conception).

In 1940, its geographic location and the development of the tourist industry created by the Mont-Tremblant mountain, resulted in the Municipality of Mont-Tremblant integrating lac Mercier and lac Desmarais within it’s territory. The lots of range D (to the west) and E (to the east and north of the lake) in the Canton of Clyde were henceforth made part of the Municipality of Mont-Tremblant.

The Municipality of Clyde officially changes its name in 1946 for « Municipality of La Conception ».

   

published in:  « Politique familiale », Municipalité La Conception


First owners around the lake.

The individuals who settled around lac Mercier, obtained  « certificates of  location » or  « letters patent » for their lots.

 

Lots on the south and south-east side

Lots 36 and 37 of range ll in canton of Grandison

On November 17 1896, Virginie St-Denis, the widow of Hon. Honoré Mercier, was granted from the government of Québec, several lots in range ll in canton of Grandison. Grants by means of  letters patent are subject to laws and rules specified in public land attributions.

On December 17 1897, she sold lots 36 (77 acres) and 37 (31 acres), and a part of lot 35 of range ll to Edouard-Henri Mercier, a customs officer from Montreal, and brother of Hon. Honoré Mercier.

Edouard-Henri Mercier then became the owner of lots adjacent to lac Mercier. This large territory covers the south and the south-eastern portion of the lake.

Collection SOPABIC …- vers 1918

 

An interesting fact: the Merciers owned a rocky island in lac Mercier, situated along the line dividing the lots 36 and 37. This small island was possibly more important at that time, because it appears simply as a portion of the territory, when property tittles were transferred up until the 1930’s.

Collection Nicole Roch

 

It’s on this lot, on the division line between the cantons of  Grandison (lot 37) and Clyde (lot 1), that the Mercier family spent their Summers. The residence is built on lot 37, which is the last lot of canton Grandison (Terrebonne).

Les Mercier, premiers villégiateurs

 

After the death of Edouard-Henri Mercier in June 1905, his two daughters Cécilia et Évelina became his heirs. Cécilia transferred her part of the estate to Evelina « Eva » Mercier.

When Évelina Mercier died in September 1920, her properties were ceded to her husband, Alfred Beaudoin, as well as to her 6 children. The Beaudoin children continued to visit lac Mercier.

The lot 37 on which was built the villa of the Merciers, has a new owner on November 20, 1926: Victoria Desroches, widow of Ulric Surprenant, who was a “voiturier” in Massachusetts where he was living, bought the property and operated the place as a small hotel of 12 rooms.The  villa became the “Manoir lac Mercier“.

Collection Nicole Roch

The following year, on November 1927, Victoria Desroches sold the property to Edouard Plouffe (Ernestine Coupal, a hotel keeper in Saint-Jérôme, but continued to operate the hotel until the late 30s.

The Plouffe lived in St-Jovite from the beginning of the century, but also owned several hotels elsewhere in the Laurentians. Xavier Plouffe,  the father of Edouard, was already a hotel keeper in 1901. Edouard Plouffe, the 8th of 14 children, took over the enterprise after the death of his father in 1910. When he acquired the “Manoir Lac Mercier” in 1938, he was also the owner of  the hotel near the Canadian Pacific railway station in Saint-Jérome since 1921 called lhôtel Plouffe.

One year after the death of his wife, Ernestine Coupal, Edouard Plouffe sold the « Manoir Lac Mercier » on October  3 1947 to  Joseph «Pit» Pépin and Lionel Vaillancourt.

The latter withdrew in October 1949, and Joseph « Pitt » Pépin  and his wife Jeanne Desormeaux managed the hotel up until November 1955.

Coll. Nicole Roch
Coll. Nicole Roch

Ma jeunesse au temps du Manoir Lac Mercier… par Nicole Roch

The “Manoir Lac Mercier” attracted a large clientele up until the ‘60s,after which the Manoir was destroyed in a fire.

The name « chemin Plouffe » originated with the Plouffe family, who owned several properties on this road near the center of the village.

 

Many parts of lot 36 along the lakeshore and railway track were sold by Evelina Mercier to early settlers. They built homes and stores, one of which is Hotel Mont Tremblant.

Several of these commercial establishments and houses still exist up to this day.

 

The land behind the “lac Mercier Inn “hotel first belonged to François Archambault, before  being sold to Marcellin Hallé in 1905. A house was then built, which was later destroyed in a forest fire that ravaged the mountain-side and the hotel in 1918.

 

In June of 1919 the property was bought by Donalda Renaud, widow of Wilfrid Guay, who was then the owner of the « Lac Mercier Inn ».  The house, that exists to-day, was built  during  that period.

In order to benefit from clean country air, and on the recommendation of her doctor, Irène Bréard, wife of Montreal jeweller Damien Poissant, purchased the property in October of 1924. This heritage house is still occupied by the descendants of Irène and Damien Poissant.

In August of 1935, the heirs of Evelina Mercier, sold a small parcel of land along the lake to Irène Bréard and Damien Poissant, who then erected a small garage that still stands to-day on the south-east shore of the lake.


 

Lots 1, 2 and 3 of range D in canton of Clyde: (East)

-At the end of the 19th century, Bénoni St-Jean, a carpenter, and farmer living in the canton of Clyde, obtained letters patent from the government of Québec, lots 1, 2 et 3 of range D canton Clyde, along the south portion of lac Mercier on east and west shores. This large area, included almost half of the lake surface. Buildings were built on some of these lots.

On the 18 of July 1902, he sold his 3 lots to Jérémie Bonnier dit Laplante, a farmer from the canton of Clyde.

 

Four months later, on the 18 of November 1902, Jérémie Bonnier sold all of the east portion of lots 1, 2 et 3 of range D  to Joseph Cyr, a businessman from St-Jovite.

>>> … more reading

Joseph Cyr (widower of Delphine Trudel) sold his lots to Donalda Renaud (widow of Wilfrid Guay) on May 14 1917. The same day, Donalda resold the same lots to William Middleton (Pauline Paiement).

It is on November 12, 1918 that Louis Letendre (Éléonore Rochon) became the owner of one part of the lots, and buildings were erected.

     

On March 23, 1922, Louis Letendre  sold to Joseph Lévi Bougie (Yvonne Touchette). Between March 1922 and February 1930, there were several owners of lots 1, 2, and 3, before they were subdivided.

William Middleton  kept the north part of lot 1.

-On February 23, 1930, Arthur Dauphin, the station master, sold lot 1-2 of range D to Victoria Desroches, widow of Ulric Surprenant. Victoria Desroches sold lot 1-2 with buildings that were erected, to hotel owner Edouard Plouffe (Ernestine Coupal) on September 10, 1937. Edouard Plouffe would then become owner of the entire portion of land around Manoir Lac Mercier, that he owned for the last 10 years.


Lots on the north and north-east sides of the lake

Lots 5 to 12 of range E in the canton of Clyde:

In the industry chapter, we were able to determine who were the owners of lots 5 to 12 of range E in the canton of Clyde. In 1902, the owner was the wood merchant Salomon Cole, in 1906 : A.D.Gall Petroleum & Chemical, in 1910 : the Laurentian Chemical Co., and in 1932 : the  Standard Chemical Co.

_ _ _ _ _

-On January 13 1943, a portion of this large territory on the north-east of the lake (Lots 5 and 6 of range E) is purchased by father  Charles-Hector Deslauriers.

-Lot 5 is immediately resold to Bertrand Tremblay, an auditor from Montréal. In 1974, the land was sold to Zotique Richer and then to Valeria Bucovetsky. This portion of land would later be incorporated into the eastern portion of “chemin des Boisés” and the “chemin des Futaies“.

-Father Deslauriers sold lot 6 of range E on September 19 1974 to Nicole Morin (Joël Yanow). The couple subdivided  the lot, drew a road, and developped the north-east portion of the lake.

_ _ _ _ _

-On June 17 1940, the youngest brother of father Deslauriers, René Deslauriers, who was at that time a salesman from Montreal, obtained lots 7, 8 and 9A of range E in canton of Clyde, which comprised all of the northern side of the lake, adjacent to the C.P.R. railway.

 >>> … More reading …

Since 1959, René Deslauriers began to gradually sell parts of  the lots in range E, on the north side of the railroad. Parts of lots 8 and 9A of range E in the north-west corner of the lake, are then sold to the Lagendyks, and to Janine Caron and Gérard Caron, descendants of Euclide Caron, and also Marcel Desjardins, a descendant of Joseph Desjardins. The Lagendyks, Carons and Desjardins developed the north-west sector of the lake during the 1970’s. The road leading to these lots was called at that time « rue Desjardins». Since the 1990’s, the road is known as the “Impasse-des-perdrix“. It was in May 1986 that the orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Chris Carruthers, bought the ancestral home that Janine Caron had reconstructed in 1973.

(read section:  everyone has their own story…)

René Deslauriers sold a right of way to Nicole Morin-Yanow in October 1974, to allow for the development of the chemin Des Boisés , across lots 7 and 8 of range E, and to service lots of the north-east corner of the lake.

Since the existence of this road, those that owned chalets on the edge of the lake, could now gain access to the road, by purchasing the land on the other side of the railway track. In 1973, René Deslauriers deeded part of lot 9A of range E to his daughter Claire Deslauriers (Yvon Morel) in 1974, and also a portion of lot 8B of range E to his other daughter Céline Deslauriers (Richard Moreau) in 1976. In 1989, portions of  lots 7 and 8 of range E higher up in the mountain, were sold to land developers, that opened the territory along chemin Franc-Nord and the north side of the mountain.


 

The chalets built between the the railway and the lake,

on the eastern and the northern shore of the lake.

-In November 12 1896, March 25 1897, October 30 1906 and December 31 1914, by virtue of letters patent obtained  from the government of Québec, Virginie St-Denis, widow of Hon. Honoré Mercier, transferred her property rights to the Montreal & Western Railway Co., that is all of the land occupied by the railway. This strip of land, 40 feet wide each side of the rails, was delineated for usage by the railway. Small exceeding portions between the lake and the tracks, not utilized by the company, but still belonging to it, became eligible for sale.

Along lac Mercier, the long strip of land in the canton of Clyde became lot 52 in ranges D and E.

Starting in 1922, the Montreal & Western Railway Company, owner of  lot 52 of  rang D and E , gradually sold some of the small portions of lands between the rails and the lake, that could not be used by the railway. It was after this that small chalets were built on the north and east shores of the lake.

These small houses were built along portions of land that jetted out from the railway towards the lake. These houses, occupied by tourists, were only used during the summer. Since there was no road, transport of materials required for larger buildings was difficult.

Several of these chalets, witnesses of the past, have maintained their cachet until current times.

>>> … more reading …

The first owners are:

Georges Edouard Ponthieu, originally from Paris in France, immigrated to Canada in 1907. He was already installed on the west shore on the other side of the lake, and decided to sell his small hotel, the “Shadinook”, on April 25 1921.

Less than a year later, on February 25 1922, he purchased from the Montreal & Western Railway Co. a large tract of land at the level of  lot 1 of range D on the east side of the lake, and built a beautiful house whose architecture can still be appreciated today. In May of the same year, he purchased from William Middleton, land on the other side of the railway track, in the northern part of lot 1 of range D.

 

Collection P. McCabe

On April 24 1946, several years after the death of Georges Ponthieu in 1939, the property was purchased by Adélaide Tullet, who operated a small hotel, « Lake Breeze » and the restaurant « La Savoyarde », for a period of time.

These were well situated, facing the village and were much appreciated by tourists and people from the area.

(read section:  everyone has their own story…)

In October 15 1957, teacher Yves Gravel acquired the property and occupied it from number of years until his death in February 2013.

Coll. Pierre McCabe

_ _ _ _ _

 -Close by, on March 1 1950, the  Montreal & Western Railway Co. sold a small portion of land on the edge of the lake to  Joseph Edgar Eaton. A small chalet was erected between the railroad track and the lake, which is right on the water’s edge. The property was transferred to his son Douglas Eaton in 1966. His heirs continue to occupy the small chalet to this day.

_ _ _ _ _

-In April 1934, William Bedford Harper, a civil engineer living in Outremont, purchased from the Montreal & Western Railway, a small point of land extending towards the lake, between the track and the lake, at the level of  lots 2 and 3 of  range D of canton of Clyde, on the east side of the lake. Two houses were erected on the lot.

He died in 1956, and his heirs kept the property until January 1976, when it was sold to Montreal administrator, René Bergevin (Monique Gravel), who sold it the following year to René Langevin, on February 21 1977.

It is just in front of this piece  of land that emerges from the water “the yellow rock” which is become a landmark for swimmers..

 

_ _ _ _ _

-Herbert Merrill Farmer, bridge and building master and  locomotive repairman for the Canadian Pacific Railway, lived in Ste-Thérèse.

On January 2 1934, Herbert M. Farmer purchased from Montreal & Western Railway Co., a portion of land at the level of lots 4 and 5 of range E in canton of Clyde.

 

Herbert M. Harper, bridge & Building master

Herbert Farmer retired in 1934 and built a small chalet on the side of lac Mercier, on the portion of land extending into the lake between the railway track and the water, an ideal spot to observe the sun setting. He did not enjoy the site for very long, because he died in 1939. His heirs maintained the property until 1987. This small point of land is often referred to as « Farmer’s point ».

The new owners are still enjoying the small house hidden amongst the trees, that they have affectionately named « Rustique-les-bains»!

 


 

The chalets between the railway track and the lake, on the north shore of the lake.

-André-Raymond Garneau, a trafic manager from the east of Montreal, purchased a portion of lot 52 at the level of lot 6 of range E in canton of Clyde, on December 30, 1943. A lovely small house was soon erected, and was occupied as a Summer cottage until November 6 1972, when Edward Sondermeyer, a chemist from Roxboro purchased the property.

In November 1979, the current owner acquired the property. We can still appreciate the cachet of this small house.

_ _ _ _ _

-Nearby, towards the West, a portion of lot 52 at the level of lot 7 of range E, is purchased by Jean-Isabel & Nelson Kelly on March 3 1941. Two small chalets are constructed. The Kellys sold the chalets to Henri Jarry in June 1960, who then resold them soon afterward to Roger Lyonnais in 1964.

Over the years, the two properties were occupied by several owners. Between 1992 and 2000, one of which was Dr. Balfour Mount, a urologist who was a pioneers of palliative care services in Montreal.

 

_ _ _ _ _

-Joseph Desjardins, had participate in the construction of the Labelle-Nominingue railway link towards the end of 19th century.

(read section:  everyone has their own story…)

Then resident of Ste-Thérèse, and shortly before his retirement, Joseph purchased from Montreal & Western Railway on January 23 1937, a long band of land between the track and the lake. This land was at the level of  lot 7 of  range E in canton of Clyde. Subsequently, he subdivided the parcel into two, and then transferred it to his sons, Hervé and  Ariste, the land being large enough for two chalets.

Ariste Desjardins, then a foreman with the C.P.R.,  built the red chalet on his land. His daughter  Lise, later  purchased a  portion of the land from her uncle Hervé, in order to have a larger facade on the lake.

 

Coll. M-J. Bérer et R. Fortier

The neighboring property, purchased and built in 1937 by Joseph Desjardins, was bought by Come Valiquette in July 1969.  Come Valiquette would spend all his summers there until his death in 2003. His son Pierre occupied the chalet until  2015.


 

Lots on the west side of the lake

Lots 36 and 37 of range ll in canton of  Grandison (West)

On November 17 1896, Virginie St-Denis, the widow of Hon. Honoré Mercier, was granted from the government of Québec, several lots in range ll in canton of Grandison. Grant by means of  letters patent is subject to laws and rules specified in public land attributions.

On December 17 1897, She sold lots 36 (77 acres) and 37 (31 acres), and a part of lot 35 of range ll to Edouard-Henri Mercier, a customs officer from Montreal.

Edouard-Henri Mercier then became owner of lots adjacent to lac Mercier. This large territory covers the south and the south-eastern portion of the lake.

After the death of Edouard-Henri Mercier in June 1905, his two daughters Cécilia et Évelina became his heirs. Cécilia transferred her part of the estate to Evelina « Eva » Mercier.

 

-On June 19 1917, Evelina Mercier (Alfred Beaudoin) sold to Katherine Melanie Weekes, the wife of  John Jennings  Creelman, lawyer, three parcels of land on lots 36 and 37 of range ll, located at the south west end of the lake.

Évelina Mercier died on August 22 1920. Her heirs (Alfred Beaudoin and their six children) sold, on May 17 1923,  a large portion (9.6 acres) of  lots 36 and 37 of range ll at south-east of the lake, followed later by the sale of another part of  lot 36 (5 acres) on July 13 1929.

This is all the territory between the lake and the chemin.du lac Mercier. A very nice house is then built

John J.Creelman died on June 29 1949. His heirs, represented by his second wife Maud Hamilton Baker, sold all the lots acquired by J.J. Creelman over the years, to Dr. Lucien Piché (Suzanne Denis) on November 17 1961.

On the photo below, we can notice the Creelman’s’ house before it was destroyed in a fire in the 1990’s, and a boathouse built during that time.

 

>>> more reading…

After the death of Lucien Piché , the land was transferred to his widow Suzanne Denis in August 1979. The plan was to subdivide  the large plot of  land, so that each of the ten children could have their own lot on the lake. Their plan had to be revised following modifications to the zoning regulations of the municipality.

Upon the death of their mother Suzanne on December 17 1993, the ten children of Lucien and Suzanne became owners of this large territory.

The land later became the property of a Montreal based company. Since that time, this charming small boathouse, which became a perch for a heron that visited the lake every summer, until it crumbled in 2021.

 

– – – – –

-The southern extremity of the property remained in the possession of the heirs of until 1988, while another portion was kept within the family until just recently.

 

_ _ _ _ _

The territory of the south of the lake is located in the canton of Grandison ( lots 35, 36 and 37 of range ll ) whereas the rest of the west side was located in the canton of Clyde. These were lots 1 to 8 of range D.

 

Lots 1, 2 and 3 of range D in canton of Clyde: (West)

Bénoni St-Jean, a carpenter and farmer from the canton of Clyde, acquired via letters patent from the government of Québec, lots 1, 2 and 3 in range D of canton of Clyde, that is all of the south portion of  lac Mercier, on the east and west shores.

-On July 18 1902, he sold his three lots to Jérémie Bonnier dit Laplante, a farmer from canton of Clyde.

-On August 4 1903, Jérémie Bonnier was aging, and wanted to be assured of a small annual income. Therefore, one of the conditions of sale to Joseph Robert, a farmer from St-Jovite, was that he provides a small annual rent. Joseph became the owner of lots 1, 2 and 3 of rang D on the west side of the lake. On these lots, houses were built.  Jérémie died on March 4, 1910.

-On November 12 1921, Joseph Robert sold parts of  lot 1 to a retired businessman from Montreal, Pierre-Damien Racine and his Clara Racine, and as well another portion on September 19 1923, and finally the remainder on March 4 1924. These portions of lots were then sold to Alcide Forget, an industrialist from Saint-Jovite on August 6 1948.

It was in April 1972 that the Plantagenet Ontario family physician, Dr. Jean De Guise, acquired the property. Another portion of lot 1, (lot 1-22), owned by Conrad Forget, was sold to Jean De Guise in April 1977. The house, built in the 1970s , is still occupied by the De Guise family.

 


The bay at the south-west (chemin Harrison)

-Beginning with Bénoni St-Jean, carpenter and farmer in canton of Clyde, up until Jérémie Bonnier dit Laplante, a  farmer from canton of Clyde, along with  Joseph Robert, all the west portion of lots 1, 2 and 3 were cleared, cultivated, and then subdivided. Hotels will be built later.

The road that led towards Labelle (currently ch. du lac Mercier) was known as “chemin Bisson” probably because Zéphirin Bisson and his family had settled nearby.

>>> more reading…

-Joseph Robert, now settled on lac Tremblant, decided to get rid of parts of lot 1-24,  lot 2-20,23,25 and  lot 3-15 and sold them to  Georges Meilleur, a merchant from St-Jovite, on September 15 1932. He then sold them the same day, to Kenneth Harrison, who sold them a short while later to hotel keeper, Joseph Greenough on June 26,1933.

It was Joseph Greenough who erected the hotel on lot 2-20 very close to the small stream which ran along lot 3-15.  The hotel was named theWindermere”. Joseph Greenough and his heirs kept the hotel  April 9, 1946. The hotel and all the adjacent buildings on parts of lot 2, were then sold to hotel keeper Armand Bastien.

Armand Bastien was obliged to give up the hotel, and in July 1967, he sold it to Albert Deslauriers, who kept it for only a short while.  It was Monique Cousineau (Me Guy Rouleau) that then took possession. The hotel later became a private residence. Since 1979, it is still occupied by the same owner.

_ _ _ _ _

-Charles Williams acquired from Joseph Robert parts of lots 2 and 3 of  range D. An important stream crossed these lots, the water originating from a small lake higher up on the mountain (lac Saint-Jean). Also, the old public road, the chemin Bisson (ch. du lac Mercier) leading towards Labelle, and crossing parts of lot 3, was relocated more to the west, which made this property particularly attractive.

Georges Edouard Ponthieu, originated from Paris in France, where he worked as a chemist, immigrated to Canada in 1907. On May 25 1912, he acquired parts of the lots held by Charles Williams. On lot 2-1, he built a boarding house type hotel known by the name « Shadinook ». several outbuildings were also constructed on the vast property.

 

On April 25 1921, he sold parts of lots 2-1 and 3-6 upon which had been built the Shadinook and several other buildings, at a salesman from Westmount, Walter Ephraim Harrison (Martha Ann Shaw).

In May 1924, Walter E. Harrison purchased from Susie Ida Stanton Silcock and John Stevenson, an accountant with the railway company, other parts of lot 2 and the buildings that were constructed upon it. This lot had previously  belonged to Georges Ponthieu until 1914.

Georges Ponthieu will sell to Walter E. Harrison other parts of  lots 2 and 3 in 1930.

In July 1932, Walter E. Harrison et Martha Ann Shaw transferred the hotel and all the lots that they owned to their son Kenneth Harrison (Audry Mann).

In 1934, Ken was obliged to borrow and mortgage the building. Since this loan was risky, ken’s parents decided to cancel their heritage donation in August 1935. Walter et Martha took over the business for a certain time. The hotel became a “rooming house” called the “Pension Harrison“. They kept the boarding on the site until after the second world war.

 In 1935, Kenneth Harrison  became very involved in the “Club de ski Mont-Tremblant”, of which he was a founder. In 1938, Joe Ryan, while visiting Gray Rocks, overflew the mountain of 3200 feet, in one of Tom Wheeler’s plane , accompanied by journalist Lowell Thomas. This was the beginning of the ambitious project to make this mountain a major tourist center. For Kenneth Harrison, the “Club de ski Mont-Tremblant”  soon became his main activity in Mont-Tremblant, as well as operating a hotel in Ste-Agathe.

Walter et Martha gradually eased out of the rooming house business, and sold parts of the lots upon which was erected the  “Shadinook” to Harold W. Seeney on March 5 1946.

The Harrisons had operated the hotel for over 25 years. Their name was given to the road in this area called “chemin Harrison.

After several changes in ownership, the old Shadinook Inn gradually deteriorated, and a large parts of their land was purchased on May 11, 1957  by the  Zionist Organization of Canada.

The camp Kinneret Biluim obtained ownership on April 6, 1984.

_ _ _ _ _

Kenneth Harrison acquired several portions of  the lots 2 and 3 in January 1946. He later sold most of them until 1949.

-Several lots to the west of the Shadinook, site, were sold to Saladin Volkman in 1947, then to William Staniforth, a businessman from Westmount, in December 1974.

On lot 2-13, we can still admire the nice stone house built during that time

.


 

The middle of the lake

Lots 4 and 5 of range D in canton of Clyde:

-Alphonse-Denis Dury and Marie Giroux left their native France in 1883 to immigrate to Canada. Georges is a tailor, and the couple open a clothing store in St-Jovite. On May 19 1897, A-D. Dury obtains via letters patent, lots 4 and lots 8 and 9 of range D on the west of lac Mercier, along “chemin Bisson” (currently ch. du lac Mercier) that led towards Labelle.

After the death of Alphonse on September 7 1904, Marie Giroux sold the lots that she held on lac Mercier. She continued to operate the clothing store in St-Jovite with help of her sons. One of these, Georges Dury, will become the mayor of St-Jovite from 1929 to 1933.

The lots 8 and 9  of  range D, originally exploited for its lumber, were sold to provincial lumber merchant Salomon Cole on February 14, 1906.

_ _ _ _ _

-Arthur O’Meara acquired lots 4, 5 of range D in the canton of Clyde, from Alphonse Dury. On a rocky plateau  rising from the lake, he built a two-story house. On February 8 1905, he sold his property to the architect, Louis E. Roy (Laurence Robert). The family was then living in New-York. They came back to Montreal in 1909 and spent their holidays at lac Mercier. Their son Lucien Roy and his wife Jeanne Beaudoin, daughter of Évelina Mercier and Alfred Beaudoin, spent much time in the house until 1928, the family of Jeanne were the owners of properties on the other side of the lake..

>>> more reading…

Louis Roy, became a widower, and sold the property on December 6, 1928 to Paul Vincent Syracuse (Florina Robert), a tailor from St-Jovite. The latter transformed the residence into a boarding house and named it « Le Belvedère » which he kept for several years.

On December 24 1934, after few changes of hands, the property was put up for sale by the sheriff, on the doorstep of the church, this place being designated for auctions, and Euclide Dubois, a businessman from lac Ouimet became the highest bidder.

Euclide Dubois whose parents came from the Ste-Thérèse region, acquired several lots between lac Ouimet and lac Mercier. He operated  a sawmill on one of these lots, near the road leading to the village. Also a carpenter and entrepreneur, he participated in the building of  the church in 1929, and he is also owned the Hotel Villa Bellevue at lac Ouimet.

On May 7 1936, his son-in-law, Hector Calvé (Irène Dubois) bought the property, and the boarding house was soon transformed into a hotel of approximately 20 rooms, and acquired the name of  « Hôtel Pointe du rocher ».

Collection Brien Benoit

The hotel, on a beautiful site, became a very popular location for numbers of tourists, up until the 1970s.

The Hotel “Pointe du Rocher” during the time of the Calvé’s family ownership

Hector Calvé operated the hotel business until February 1968. The hotel changed hands on several occasions, after which  the buildings and the large lot were put up for a final sale in 1974.

Commercial activities ceased on June 12 1974, when neurosurgeon, Dr. Brien Benoit acquired the property.

After several renovations, the building became a private residence and remains so to this day.

_ _ _ _ _

-Several other parts of lots 4 and 5 of  range D were sold by Louis E. Roy to different owners, who the built houses. In addition to  Paul Vincent Syracuse, these property owners were: Alfred Ferguson in August 1914, Patrick Verdon (fireman from Montreal) in January 1934, Harry Arthur Robinson in June 1934, William Lazure  in September 1934, Robert W. Lebeau in July 1935, Léopold Dubeault in December 1937 and Alberta Charbonneau in January 1942.

Subsequently, William Lazure, who died in 1994, left the property to his heirs who maintained it until 2012. Still visible on the bottom of a bay, the small red boathouse.  The adjacent old cottage built by W. Lazure in the 1930s, was recently demolished to make way to a new construction.

The Simard family purchased the property owned by Harry A. Robinson in 1973. A fire destroyed the building, and the heirs of Léonce Simard sold the property a few years ago.

Yvon Deguise purchased from Hector Calvé, part of lot 4 D, and then resold it in 1964 to Madeleine Painchaud-Sénéchal. The current owners acquired the property in 1976.

In 1976, Alberta Charbonneau-Fortier sold to Jacqueline Amesse, who lived in the house until her death a few years ago.

In this sector, are found the street names « Verdon, Syracuse and Hunter », named after the original settlers.

_ _ _ _ _

-Bernhard-Emil Hunter and Paula Oppenlander originally from Germany, then United States, arrived in Canada in 1912, and shortly thereafter, purchased parts of  lot 5 of range D in canton of  Clyde, and built a boarding house of approximately 20 rooms. The hotel was named the Laurentian House.

Laurentian House 1939

Their son, Harry Robert Hunter, lived in the house after acquiring it from his parents, who died in 1923 and 1936. Harry was an assistant architect, and transformed the building in a private residence and resided in it until his death in 1987.

The site of the “Laurentian House”  as seen today:

Paul Vincent Syracuse sold part of lot 5C of range D to Ferdinand Carrière, after which Evelyn Allen, employee of the City of Montreal, acquired the property in 1976.

Marie-Paule Létourneau  purchased part of lot 5 in 1972, and built a chalet, in which she resided until her death, at the age of 102 years.


 

Towards the west north-west

Lots 6 and 7 of range D in canton of Clyde:

Delphine St-Jean, wife of Bénoni St-Jean, obtained lots 6A and 6B of range D via letters patent from the  government of Québec, on February 5, 1924. These lots were allocated for  the harvesting of wood and cultivation.

On May 8 1934, Antoinette St-Jean (Roméo Pilon), farmer in canton of Clyde, inherited lot 6B of range D after the death of her mother Delphine.

The small lake at the west extremity of lot 6, is named “lac Saint-Jean” because of the St-Jean family. The descendants of the St-Jean (Pilon) still own a large portion of the original territory on the west side of chemin du lac Mercier, whereas the portions of lots that have been subdivided between the road and the lake, changed hands on several occasions.

_ _ _ _ _

>>> more reading…

-Dorothée St-Jean (Aldéric Boivin), farmers in canton of Clyde, were the owners of lots 7 A and 7B of rang D acquired by virtue of letters patent, given by the government of  Québec on January 7 1927. She sold lot 7 to Jérémie Boivin (Marie Délia Pilon) on March 24 1928. The latter resold two parts of lot 7 a few years later, on August 10 1935, to businessman Zéphirin Vanchesteing (Mercedes Lafleur).

It was in June 1972, that the funeral director Roland Vanchesteing (Rachel O’Keefe) became the heir to his recently deceased parents, and sold the portion of lot 7 to ski instructor Dean Wainwright.

Businessman Alain Culis and his wife Nicole Gauthier purchased lots 7A and 7B on July 27 2000, and created the development called “Domaine privilège“.

Lac Mercier 1963. Collection Stéphane Martin